LISTEN IN:

Listen to the live radio show Wednesdays from 9-11pm HERE Coming up this week, 4/6: MLB Opening week, NHL/NBA Playoff chalk-talk, and NFL Lockout?

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Manny Being Manny


By Ian Tasso

Editorial, Photo by ESPN/AP

Manny, Manny, Manny. I’ve seen you walk into the Monster during in-game breaks. I’ve seen you participate in a four-man relay. And I’ve seen you high-five a fan in the middle of a double play. But this – this is a first.

In something that truly came out of left field (no pun intended) Manny Ramirez has been linked to steroids and will be suspended 50-games from Major League Baseball. This of course was reported Thursday morning, and immediately after stunned Dodger fans and baseball enthusiasts alike. After all, how could it not? This guy has been in the news before, but it’s usually because of crashing into a wall or somersaulting in the outfield. Never this.

Unfortunately, the fact is that Mr. Ramirez is the latest and greatest to fall victim to the steroid game. After I heard the news, my initial feeling was shock. And we’re not talking Ellsbury stealing home shock – we’re talking Giants-Patriots Super Bowl shock. Then, I started to think of the Red Sox. If it turns out this guy had been taking steroids for years, what would this do to our legacy? Then my head started spinning – I started thinking about who my new left fielder would be in my Fantasy League, I started wondering who will win the NL West now, what the MLB has become – and this is all a lot to handle at eleven in the morning. I hadn’t even had breakfast yet.

So I decided to do just that. I sat down with a bowl of cereal, and jumped into each one of those things.

First off, Manny then admitted that what he took was a prescribed steroid from a doctor in Miami. He wasn’t aware of the steroid, he didn’t know what he was taking – and I can’t deem him a liar. He’s been a lot of things in my years as a fan, but never a liar. So I guess that’s the good news – this wasn’t an A-Rod since 2003 steroid discovery. So at least the Sox are clear.

Then after I added Mike Cameron to my fantasy team, figuring that if I platoon him and Elijah Dukes for a few months I should be able to tread water until the dreadlocked slugger returns, my head turned to the MLB and the NL West.

First off, the NL West is wide open - just as wide as it was before the Dodgers got Manny in the first place. Sure, Andre Either is batting over .300, and Kemp is turning into the new-age Carlos Beltran – but that’s all with the slugger in the lineup. Watch what happens to them when he’s gone. Think Mischa Barton leaving the OC. The next few months should be wild in the West. Fortunately for the Dodgers though, this is only a two-month suspension. So, barring any 2007-esque Rockie win streak, I think the Dodgers should be able to hang tight until Manny returns. If you're reading Torre, take note from my fantasy team.

Now it’s time for the MLB itself. I’ve put a lot of thought into this, and I’ve finally made up my mind. Manny was only taking a drug that was prescribed to him by a doctor, and wasn’t even aware that it was a steroid, or so he admitted. But, he says, it was his own fault, because it’s his own responsibility.

But is it?

Should players really have to worry about what doctors, medical professionals, are prescribing them for their conditions? I realize that the drug is banned under Major League Baseball law. And I realize that Manny took it, and therefore should be suspended. But after seeing what happened to J.C. Romero (suspended after taking an over the counter drug), I think it’s time we think long and hard about the MLB.

We’ve had the ordeal with A-Rod. A while back, we had Romero bite the unfair but undeniable bullet. And now, Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50-games because of taking a prescribed drug.

But the bottom line is, these are the rules. The rules clearly state that drug “X” and drug “Y” are illegal. If you take drugs “X” and “Y” you will be suspended. I guess it doesn’t really matter who you are or why you took the drug. If it’s illegal, you pay the price.

It’s just unfortunate that Manny did what he did. Now the Dodgers will suffer, baseball will suffer, and fans and players alike will just have to cross their fingers and hope their star doesn’t get clipped with a random steroid indictment.

Imagine the Astros without Berkman? Imagine the White Sox without Quentin? Imagine the Cardinals without Pujols? Well, fans better hope these players keep their prescriptions in line – or it might be time to start imagining.

1 comment:

  1. I still don't know what to think of Manny. I always pondered him a steroid user-- he's gotten bigger and better into his thirties, and is 38 now-- but never convicted him personally) even now. He's probably one of the toughest athletes to figure out what's going on in his head.

    Awesome post man, look forward to checking back here throughout the summer.

    ReplyDelete